This super creamy and cheesy Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe will take you straight again to childhood! Tender macaroni pasta is tossed in a creamy cashew “cheese” sauce, making a remarkably comparable taste and texture to the unique. The cheese sauce can be utilized with rather more than simply pasta. If you’re on a keto or low carb diet or just don’t really feel like boiling noodles one evening, feel free to make use of the sauce as a cheese dip or pour it over steamed veggies, rice, and even spaghetti squash.
Vegan Mac and Cheese RecipeCourse: Vegan Option, SidesDifficulty: Easy
16 ounces pasta
1 and 1/2 cups raw cashews – soaked in water for 2 hours, if desired
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
- FOR CRUMB TOPPING
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
Pinch of salt
- Put together the pasta according to package instructions. Drain the cashews should you soaked them.
- Whereas the pasta is cooking, mix the cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic, turmeric, cayenne (if using), and mustard in a high speed blender and mix till silky smooth. If the combination is just too thick, add 2-4 extra tablespoons of water and mix once more.
- As soon as the pasta is tender, drain and rinse it, then return the pasta to the pot and stir within the cheese sauce. Season to taste, sprinkle crumb topping, and serve heat.
- Make topping: Mix all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse till well-combined, then put aside in a small bowl.
- Leftovers keep nicely, chilled and covered, for 3-4 days. Gentle reheat, adding a tiny splash of water if essential to loosen up the sauce.